BlackLiquid Forums
And so, it begins.... - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Banished General (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Questions, Help & Support (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: And so, it begins.... (/showthread.php?tid=1440)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

And so, it begins.... - Trasd - 12-10-2016

As I promised in my introduction, I will have a lot of questions, and so, it begins....

I am completely new to Banished, <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, and the entire builder\resource management game genre.  So far, I've had about 5 false starts, mostly with the vanilla game, but a couple with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> as well.  My last restart was because I couldn't find the fishery (which I found later, not realizing at first that the menu had more sub-menus).  This leads to my first question:

As a newb (sorry, but I find "noob" derogatory), should I begin with the vanilla version or <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> (I cannot run the MegaMod on my laptop)?

To help me start, I checked out <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a>'s Getting Started thread.  That was a bust (no disrespect towards ShockPuppet as I completely understand and sympathize with time restrictions and project priority).  I also read somewhere on the internet that there was a "Getting Started" PDF on the old site, but I was never able to confirm this statement.  This leads to my second question:

Can someone point me to a good "Getting Started" resource (I don't do well with videos, BTW, preferring text I can refer to later)?

Lastly:

Is there any specific maps that are considered more newb friendly (personally, I like 777, but I'm opened to others for learning purposes).

Any general advise?

Thanks in advance!

For those who may be interested in some of my work, I wrote a Baldur's Gate HEX Editing Tutorial, a Multiling O Keyboard layout (Android), and a Skyrim archery mod.  I have more out there, but most of it is older, like my Morrowind No CD Patch.

I don't plan on modding Banished because, for once, I just want to actually play a game without taking it apart!  LOL.

And so, it begins.... - rejectedegg - 12-10-2016

Well not to kick BL in the rump here , but using <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> is modding it.

Place Storage buildings close to production areas.

Pasture, apiary, gather, hunter, fishing dock, wood cutter, forester, herbalist, and a few houses here and there t keep the baby boom going.

I tend to build my orchards 9x9 Dense and  Fields 9x9  to start out.

And don't cut down big swaths of trees,stone and iron.  Do it in patches as you need it.

Having  a church and cemetery makes your people happy also, but build it as soon as food and firewood is stabilized.

A school is also good to build so your children can become educated (this increases how efficiently they work).

Will post more as I think of more.

I also would pause the game and take the time clicking open each and every button.  Just to familiarize yourself with what is where.

As far as modding goes... there is nothing wrong with modding your game.  If you do choose to mod it and would like to use <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> to mod it with (<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> adds lots more variety of things to build , which does tend to hold your attention longer than vanilla will, trust me) then I would suggest using <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>: EA to start out with.

And the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>/BL mods are not designed to "take it apart" they are designed to add more to the game.  Which they do, very well [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

However I am not sure if <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>:EA can work on Banished version 1.0.6 or not, I haven't tried it yet.

And I am not sure if <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> or <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> have even posted up the downloads for any of those yet or not.

If they haven't and once we find out if it will work with Banished 1.0.6  I can send you the file for it if you would like to give it a whirl.

And so, it begins.... - estherhb - 12-10-2016

I would play vanilla Banished until you can successfully start a town.  The Achievements can teach you a lot (although I only got 6 before I added Colonial Charter).  I think YouTube videos are helpful. A lot of people like Pinstar's Crossroads series Go here.. I enjoy Skye Storme's series the most but he isn't as organized - start with his vanilla Banished series Here. Both of these are starts using Hard.

And so, it begins.... - Kralyerg - 12-10-2016

I think he means "I don't plan on modding Banished" meaning "I'm not going to create mods, just use them".

Why would you want to use <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>:EA still?

Quote:
5 minutes ago, Kralyerg said:

I think he means "I don't plan on modding Banished" meaning "I'm not going to create mods, just use them".

Good starting place for someone trying to get used to how <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> mods work  *shrugs*   lol

I started out with Iron Curtain.

But each one of the BL <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> mods always has more in each of them, which is what makes them great.

I just thought EA would be a nice starting point for <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9310-trasd/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9310" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9310-trasd/">@Trasd</a> so they can get used to how the production cycles come into play in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>.

If my memory serves me weill, EA was pretty much were it started, wasn't it?

Isn't the order

IC

EA

CotGL

NF

TFA

or am I wrong?

On second thought maybe I should just go back over <----- there    lol

Quote:
1 hour ago, Kralyerg said:

Yes, correct; I mean I don't plan on writing mods, just using them!

Thanks for all the advise!  I certainly have a bit to think about.  As far as the vanilla game, I got up to about 25 people before discovering that I could select specific maps via seeds.  That's the only reason I restarted then - my random map left a lot to be desired.

While searching for seeds, I found <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> and thought it sounded very interesting.  Currently, I have NF and TFA.  I think I'll stick with TFA for a bit and, if I don't get aggravated or completely and hopelessly lost, I'll stay with it.

Thanks, again.

And so, it begins.... - cainacol12 - 12-10-2016

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9310-trasd/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9310" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9310-trasd/">@Trasd</a>Welcome to banished, warning it will complete consume your free time if you let it, best play with caution lmao[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

As for starts, i would suggest playing vanilla banished and getting a real good feel for how to play before diving into the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> mods. It will give you both a solid grasp of the game and how to play as well as make things a lot simpler which should make learning a lot better. Then when you get a couple of successful towns under your belt go for <abbr title="Colonial Charter">cc</abbr>. They completely expand the game with tons of options so if your not grounded in the base game I think it will be a bit overwelming. 

As to the newbs guides I this is the one I like to reference the most http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=229834233

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=404867761

http://www.gameskinny.com/lk739/banished-tips-for-quick-food-and-a-stable-supply-chain

http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-in-Banished

and while you said you prefer text watching let's plays of banish is a great way to learn just because you can see the different ways player play the game. (really there are many different ways to be successful)

Once you finally get good at banish and move on to the mods the forum has tons of charts and information on the new material, resources, production orders, etc so I run through the website will be all you really need. 

Hope this helps

And so, it begins.... - ShockPuppet - 12-10-2016

I did have a great getting started section, im trying to recover the information its difficult.

With most folks suggesting it, I think I will actually start with the vanilla first.  I felt pretty comfortable with it (figuring out what was needed and, the menus) and that first town I got going a bit, but it was far from stable.  I want to get it at least self-sustaining.

Plus with the holidays, I won't have a whole lot of free time.  Hopefully though, I'll have the time needed to become proficient with the original version.

Again, thanks!

Thanks for the links <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8937-cainacol12/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8937" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8937-cainacol12/">@cainacol12</a> et. al.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a>, that would be great!