BlackLiquid Forums
Ostriv - A Town Building Game - Printable Version

+- BlackLiquid Forums (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Black Liquid (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Inn & Garden (https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Ostriv - A Town Building Game (/showthread.php?tid=1008)

Pages: 1 2

Ostriv - A Town Building Game - ShockPuppet - 01-05-2017

Here we have a look at Ostriv, a town builder that has been in development since 2014 by one person.

Quote:

Ostriv is a single-player strategy game in which you build and manage cities in late pre-industrial era.

The events take place on a fictional island, where the player despite all troubles has to build a prospering state.

http://ostrivgame.com/home/

[Image: 05%20(1).jpg]

Ostriv - A Town Building Game - KevinTheCynic - 01-05-2017

I think I saw this on another Banished website and I thought "Wow, I'd love to have those models in Banished."  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Being in Australia with mostly British inspired architecture, the Eastern European architecture is somewhat exotic to me, familiar but stylistically different, so much so that I'm pretty certain that I'm going to buy this game when/if it becomes available.

Ostriv - A Town Building Game - ShockPuppet - 01-06-2017

From my discussion with the developer:

Quote:

I have a dedicated model editor. It will have all the tools to create a custom building: navigation, special AI nodes, doors, animating parts, floor collision, procedural fences, construction animation and more.

Also I'm planning on adding a landscape editor, because now I'm just using a bunch of .png images for elevation, forests, plants.

Great. What about people wanting to mod beyond the existing functions in the game, for example adding new logic or expanding existing.

Will there be terrain generation in game, such as using noise (frequency, amplification) or is there a different system? (you mentioned png)

After being on the banished mod scene for years I can tell you the absolute most requested thing has been allowing modders to make their own class of products / resources in game. Even just having a few dummy / null / not used resource types for the modding community to decide implementation would have been like a miracle...

Quote:

1. Hard to say right now. The number of existing logics is fair high. There's a lot of things actually being made by citizens, like turning a windmill to the wind direction, riding horses, plowing fields, using wheelbarrows, wagons, boats.. just chilling on a bench or whatever. So I think there's a lot to construct from, and I'm not sure which kind of other actions modders might want to implement. I'll probably watch for the feedback to see what kind of scripting should be added.

2. I don't really like the look of randomly generated maps. It's really hard to create a realistic landscape based on noise. I'm more inclined to use satellite imagery for elevation with some extra handwork applied. Maybe some day I'll figure some way to randomize it for better replayability. But for now I'll stick to prebuilt maps.

3. I think in Banished resource classes were just a result of UI decisions. There's currently no such thing as resource class in Ostriv. It's more like an unlimited list of resources with various properties.

Ostriv - A Town Building Game - mda89 - 01-06-2017

I am very excited for this game!

I talked with the DEV privately and I am very optimistic. He seems to have the right approach and some interesting ideas how things should work. Can't wait to test the game during the alpha/beta test!

The setting (eastern europe) is refreshing and I'm sure every history buff will agree with me when I say how underrepresented these countries are in this genre.

The only thing that concerns me right now is the lack of randomized maps. But maybe they'll get added until release.

Ostriv - A Town Building Game - KevinTheCynic - 01-06-2017

With the Dev's approach to map making, there may be the potential for users to make their own maps perhaps?

Ostriv - A Town Building Game - Goblin Girl - 01-06-2017

This looks pretty exciting!  Even without random map generation, if one can use satellite imagery to create new maps, that's still a whole lot of potential variety.

Ostriv - A Town Building Game - ShockPuppet - 01-06-2017

Quote:
54 minutes ago, KevinTheCynic said:

With the Dev's approach to map making, there may be the potential for users to make their own maps perhaps?

Maybe. Yeah sure, people will do it. Its not the same as a random map generator though. Even if theyre not as pretty.

I coded a random map generator in unity last year and it gives some great results. As does banished, and other city builders. It seems a design choice of the developer that he wants and it his game so thats what players will get.

Ostriv - A Town Building Game - Funso - 05-11-2017

I just visited the website to have a look around.  I watched the teaser video on there and there's a mobile game being advertised right now on TV that his using footage from that teaser.

Ostriv - A Town Building Game - Jafar_the_Barmecide - 05-14-2017

Hmm, I am still a bannie, I don't think this will win me over completely but there are aspects I love about this, in particular the non-grid dependant placement of structures and I don't know if those paths were put in or were created by the frequent passage of the villagers. Keen to give it a go and find out.

Ostriv - A Town Building Game - Takit - 05-20-2017

This looks very nice.

I'll buy it and give it a try when it will be out. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />